8.24.2006

coincidence

few things swirling through my mind today, the most interesting having to do with my mind itself. on sunday night i heard a great program about how we interpret coincidence. it reaffirmed for me how nice and bland i could continue to have it as an empiricist (a belief i wouldn't defend it in an argument, but must cop to in the interest of full disclosure).
more importantly,
it reminded me that i don't have to have it just that way. i can't muster any genuine belief in spirits, holy or otherwise, but the psychiatrist guest (of all people!) reminded me that the very fact that a "miracle" is really just any old accident proves that immense meaning is mine to wield; not intrinsic to any phenomenon. and so i am grateful to my own mind for its ability to epiphanise, giving me full power to beware and be under the spell of the notion that chance favors the prepared mind.
now on to my preparations...

1 comment:

JustJess said...

I think I have to come back to this one after one more cup of coffee... perhaps even two.